Mahalo to all those that have signed up for the Kaua‘i General Plan e-mail list and attended community meetings and events this year. Here are some updates on the status of the project and what’s coming next.
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Look for the Plan Kaua‘i tent at the Kaua‘i Farm Fair, August 13-15, 2015. County planners will be seeking input on the proposed Vision for Kaua‘i 2035. Come see the draft vision statement and vote on which elements are most important to you and your community.
- CAC meeting #5 is scheduled for September 29, 2015, 3-5 pm at the Moikeha Building Planning Commission Room in Līhu‘e. The agenda includes discussion on the status of implementation of the 2000 General Plan, a presentation on the land use inventory and buildout analysis prepared for the GP Update, and discussion of lands that are entitled for future development. CAC meetings are open to everyone and time will be provided for public comments near the end of each meeting.
- Opticos Design Inc. will be conducting Place Typing charrettes in Waimea–Kekaha, Hanapēpē-‘Ele‘ele, and North Shore Planning Districts during the first week of November 2015. Place typing exercises can help to identify a community’s attitudes towards change, vision and aspirations for the future, and important elements of community character to preserve and encourage. Details will be announced as they are confirmed.
- The project team is moving into the Vision, Goals, and Policy Developmentphase of the project. For the next 12 months, each major policy topic included in the General Plan will be addressed through consultations with agencies, the CAC, and the greater community. Input will be combined with available information to inform the development of draft text for the Plan. For a description of the GP Update process and a list of policy topics covered by the Plan, visitwww.plankauai.com/learn
- The Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for the project has convened four times to date. The four meetings focused on 1) GP Overview and Policy Context; 2) Socioeconomic and Demographic Projections; 3) Updating the Vision for Kaua‘i; and 4) Place Typing for Preserving Community Character and Managing Growth. Check www.plankauai.com/events for materials and summaries from past meetings.
- Public Meetings were held in each of the island’s six Planning Districts in May 2015. An interactive map with meeting materials, and summaries from each meeting is posted at www.plankauai.com/events
- The Planning Department is seeking input on the draft “Vision for Kaua‘i 2035”. Find the draft Vision Statement report on the “References” page of the website: www.plankauai.com/learn/references
Staying Informed & Providing Input
There are many ways to keep engaged and provide your input throughout the GP Update Process:
- Check the website and sign up for the mailing list at www.plankauai.com
- Submit comments or ideas via e-mail to email@example.com
- Share your thoughts on the Kaua‘i County Planning Department Facebook Page
- Instagram your ideas for Kaua‘i by tagging @plankauai and #plankauai
For more information, go to http://PlanKauai.com or call the Long Range Planning Division at 241-4050.